Send a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references from previous supervisors, and one (1) professional reference from a colleague, to email@example.com
Please indicate the job code AA-DAR1 in the subject line of your email.
After sending in your documents, please fill out the online Job Applicant Identifier form. RACC is an equal opportunity employer. In compliance with government regulations we are required to record numbers of job applicants by sex and ethnic category. We ask that you indicate your race or national origin and sex, but you are not required to provide this information. This information will not be kept with your application and will be used only in accordance with state and federal regulations.
If you are chosen for this position, a background check will be required. Full details regarding the background check are available here.
|Title:||Director of Advising & Retention|
|Apply by date:||
$65,000 - $75,000 per year
Specific work hours to be agreed upon by the supervisor and employee prior to the onset of employment.
Critical Success Factors:
- Create and implement a robust training program for all advisors.
- Ensure effective use of Target X retention module.
The Director of Advising and Retention reports to the Associate Provost and will have the overall responsibility for coordinating and directing College advising and retention in support of the College’s strategic initiatives. All services shall be coordinated in concert with the other student services departments as well as all academic divisions. The person in this position will assist with assigned retention initiatives. In addition, the Director of Advising and Retention will act as an academic advisor to an assigned group of students and regularly provide advising services to students who come to the Advising Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for managing the IPEDS First Time, Full-time Cohort and leading efforts, in collaboration with the Associate Provost, to meet Strategic Plan targets for graduation rates.
- Responsible for leading efforts, in collaboration with the Associate Provost, targeting and reducing/eliminating the equity gaps in enrollment, retention and completion.
- Assess and improve the advising process for new and current students.
- Ensure effective use of Target X retention module.
- Coordinate retention programs and services with Academic Affairs and other college departments.
- In cooperation with the Associate Provost, identify priorities, strategic goals and action plans to enhance student progress to degree completion. Lead, support and provide direction to advising staff with retention and completion initiatives.
- Develop and manage annual budget using the budget process, including reviewing budget requests monthly.
- Collaborate with the Director of Admissions to meet objectives of the SEM Plan and the Strategic Plan.
- Provide oversight for the advisors and advising schedule.
- Design and implement a comprehensive advisor-training program for all faculty and staff that are involved in advising students.
- Maintain and update advisor and advisee information found on the college website and catalog.
- Provide academic advising services to students through walk-ins and appointments on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with the IR department to develop reports needed to manage the advising process and to report on advising outcomes.
- Participate in meetings and serve on committees as required.
- Work cooperatively with the marketing and academic staff to develop program brochures and other informational materials.
- Prepare and submit in timely fashion annual unit report for advising.
- Implement advising and retention portions of the SEM Plan. Contribute to updates and revisions of the SEM Plan.
- Attain and maintain proficiency in Colleague modules relevant to advising and retention, particularly the Self-Service module.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Directly supervise full-time, regular part-time and other part-time employees assigned to the position. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with College policies, Collective Bargaining Agreements and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance, and taking corrective action with employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master's Degree is required.
- A minimum of two years’ experience advising.
- Management experience in a union environment
- Experience developing and implementing a training program for academic advisors
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Community College experience
- Experience working with a Student Information System (Ellucian Colleague strongly preferred)
- Experience working with a CRM or alert system
- Self-motivated with the ability to function productively and independently;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish positive working relationships;
- Excellent management/supervisory skills.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top administration, the public, students and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products, with proficiency in Outlook, Word and Excel
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.