Reading Area Community College offers a work-study program that provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study.
What is work-study?
Work-study employment is a type of financial aid that a student earns in the form of a paycheck. The program is either federally funded or state funded. The funds are intended to help offset educational and living expenses. Wages are earned by working on campus or at an approved off-campus site.
Application Procedures for Students
- Send resume and student ID number to firstname.lastname@example.org (STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE RACC RAVENS EMAIL ADDRESS INSTEAD OF PERONAL EMAIL TO ENSURE RECEIPT OF RESUME). Allow 2-3 business days for processing.
- Work-study eligibility card issued IF you meet the requirement of the work-study program. (SEE COORDINATOR FOR QUESTIONS)
- If you receive an eligibility card, visit the Job Opportunities page to search for available positions.
- Email the supervisor listed on the job you desire. The supervisor will then reach out to you to schedule an interview.
- You MUST attend the interview with the work-study eligibility card that was issued to you.
- The work-study eligibility card will be SIGNED by the supervisor if you are hired, then complete the employment application.
- Contact the Work-Study Assistant to schedule orientation. Allow 2-3 hours for orientation and bring two forms of identification (for example valid government photo id and social security card) and your signed work-study eligibility card.
Hiring Procedures for Supervisors
- Contact the Work-Study Assistant to post your open position on the RACC website.
- Check email for interested candidates.
- Contact students you wish to interview and remind them to bring the work-study eligibility card to the interview. Do not interview candidates who do not have a work-study eligibility card.
- If you wish to hire a student, sign the student's work-study eligibility card.
- The student will then complete a RACC employment application and send it to you.
- Complete the Candidate Approval Request Form (located on the INTRAnet), and attach the student's completed employment application to the candidate approval form and submit.
- Once the Work-Study Coordinator and Assistant receives the confirmation of receipt and approval, the student is contacted to set up a work-study orientation that normally lasts for two hours.
- Students should not begin working until orientation is completed.
- While a student may begin working before all necessary clearances are submitted, please be aware that if a student does not complete them within ninety days of hire, they may be unable to continue working.
- The student will also be unable to submit timesheets unless they complete registration on Paychex.
- Contact the Work-Study Coordinator when your student employee leaves the position.
Please note that participation in the work-study program could reduce future loan requests.
Work-Study Office, B107
610.372.4721, ext. 5227