Send a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references, to email@example.com
Please indicate the job code TAS-BPT in the subject line of your email.
After sending in your documents, please fill out the online Job Applicant Identifier form. RACC is an equal opportunity employer. In compliance with government regulations we are required to record numbers of job applicants by sex and ethnic category. We ask that you indicate your race or national origin and sex, but you are not required to provide this information. This information will not be kept with your application and will be used only in accordance with state and federal regulations.
If you are chosen for this position, a background check will be required. Full details regarding the background check are available here.
|Bilingual Professional Tutor
|Apply by date:
Open Until Filled
$25.00 per hour
Specific work hours to be agreed upon by the supervisor and employee prior to the onset of employment.
Professional Tutors are needed for all subject areas, including but not limited to:
- Writing (college and developmental-level)
- Math (college-level and developmental-level)
- Science (chemistry, physics, biology, and anatomy and physiology)
- Business and/or Accounting
- Humanities and Social Sciences (psychology, history, social work, sociology, etc.)
- Information technology and/or computer skills
Tutors support student learning by providing assistance outside the classroom, leading one-on-one or small group lessons driven by the needs of their tutees. Tutors may also facilitate supplemental workshops in their area of expertise and develop worksheets or other center materials. Tutoring sessions may be conducted in-person, online, or asynchronously.
Tutors help students to define their academic goals, review key concepts covered in the classroom, help clarify or answer any questions, assist students with homework assignments, projects, and/or papers, and work with students to develop strong academic skills, including study strategies, note-taking techniques, and exam preparation. Connected tutors will be assigned to specific course sections to support students with targeted tutoring or to liaise between students and other available tutors. Embedded tutors will attend classes and guide students, provide feedback, and answer questions during hands-on practice in consultation with the instructor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide one-on-one for small group tutoring, either virtually or in person
- Keep notes on their appointments in a designated scheduling system
- Attend any required training and/or professional development
- Provide help with technology related needs, such as navigating Canvas LMS and/or Microsoft Office
- Develop, edit, and maintain resources for your subject area, including worksheets and other reference materials
- Provide coaching and mentoring to other tutors as requested
- Coach students in essential academic skills
- Maintain confidentiality while addressing the needs of students
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- An associate’s degree or higher
- Detailed knowledge in the subject they are hired to tutor
- Bilingual English/Spanish required
- Knowledge of and commitment to serving bilingual/bicultural student populations and others traditionally underrepresented in higher education
- The ability to communicate well with tutees, faculty, and staff
- Skills with helping students navigate the LMS and other online learning platforms as applicable to the course(s) being tutored, or a willingness to learn
- A patient, caring, and friendly personality
- The ability to maintain confidentiality of tutoring center information and conduct oneself in an ethical, professional manner
- The ability to maintain an environment that is open, friendly, and respects all tutees as individuals
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- Previous tutoring or teaching experience
- Previous experience tutoring or teaching remotely or online
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural communication skills and the ability to work well with diverse populations
To perform this job successfully, an individual should possess general computer literacy and be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). The individual must also be comfortable with assisting tutees with basic computer skills. Experience with Learning Management Systems, such as Canvas, Zoom or other web conferencing software, and scheduling systems is a plus, or a willingness to learn.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one on one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple one or two-step instructions. Ability to deal with standardized situations with only occasional or no variables.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, to sit and to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.