How Do I Get Help?
If you believe that you or anyone else is in immediate danger, call 911 or RACC Security (SGI) at extension 6291 immediately.
If you have experienced sexual assault, sexual harassment, dating or relationship violence, stalking, or sexual exploitation, RACC is committed to assisting you in getting the help and support that you need and deserve. You are entitled to a full range of services and accommodations, both from within your community as well as on campus, including but not limited to, academic, employment or housing accommodations; medical care; emotional support; and advocacy services.
RACC strongly encourages survivors of any form of violence to seek immediate medical attention as soon as possible. Medical providers can treat physical injuries, address injuries that may not be visible, and when appropriate, test for sexually transmitted infections and/or pregnancies, as well as provide emergency contraception. In addition, a hospital can also test for the presence of alcohol or drugs and conduct a rape evidence collection procedure. If you need assistance, please visit one of the following medical centers:
- Berks Community Health Center, 430 N. 2nd Street, Reading, PA 484-772-3143
- Co-County Wellness Services, 429 Walnut Street, Reading, PA 610-375-6523
- Planned Parenthood, 48 S 4th Street, Reading, PA 610-376-8061
- Reading Hospital, 420 S. 5th Ave., Reading, PA 484-628-4357
- St. Joseph Medical Center, 145 N. 6th Street, Reading, PA 610-378-2445
RACC Policy and Procedures
- Supporting the Academic Success of Pregnant and Parenting Students - PDF
- Pregnant and Parenting Students' Rights FAQ - PDF
Support Services and Advocacy
In addition to medical care, there are also resources available to survivors who have been affected by sexual or gender-based harassment or misconduct. The below resources can assist in counseling and emotional support services, as well as academic, housing or work accommodations.
- Lizette Flowers, Title IX Coordinator, Berks Hall Room B-115, 610-372-4721 ext. 5005, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Title IX Coordinator can assist you with accessing support services (medical, counseling, accommodations, etc.). They can also help you understand your reporting options and RACC's procedures for handling reports of sexual or gender-based harassment or misconduct. Please note that this is a non-confidential resource.
- SAFE Berks provides a safe haven and ongoing support system for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. 255 Chestnut Street, Reading, PA 610-373-1206 http://www.safeberks.org
- Know Your IX, a website to empower students: http://knowyourix.org
- National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, http://www.avp.org/about-avp/national-coalition-of-anti-violence-programs
- National Domestic Violence Hotline, established by the Violence Against Women Act, the hotline provides twenty-four hour support for people facing domestic violence. http://www.thehotline.org
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline has a twenty-four-hour, toll-free confidential suicide prevention hotline. http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Not Alone - On January 22, 2014, President Obama established the White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault. As part of the recommendations, the NotAlone.gov, website was launched containing information for students, schools, and anyone interested in finding resources on how to prevent and respond to sexual assault on college and university campuses and in our schools. https://www.notalone.gov
- Office on Violence Against Women, Established by the Violence Against Women Act, the Office on Violence Against Women is designed to reduce violence against women and strengthen resources for all survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking. http://www.ovw.usdoj.gov
Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act Requirements - PDF
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) - This nonprofit organization has a twenty-four-hour hotline for anonymous support for people dealing with sexual assault and their friends and families. https://rainn.org/get-help/national-sexual-assault-online-hotline
- Stalking Resource Center - Part of the National Center for Victims of Crime, the Stalking Resource Center provides assistance and guidance for those impacted by stalking.