How to Apply for Financial Aid

Applying for financial aid is FREE!!

You will need to create a Federal Student Aid PIN. The PIN is good for your entire college career. Your PIN will allow you to:

  • "sign" the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) electronically (parents of dependent students will also need a PIN to "sign" the FAFSA electronically)
  • Make online corrections to the FAFSA
  • Access your Student Aid Report (SAR)
  • Sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) for a Stafford Student Loan
  • Access student loan history on National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

Complete/renew the FAFSA online every year.

In order to receive Federal financial aid, a student must:

  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible noncitizen with a valid Social Security Number
  • Be matriculated in a program of study
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or be able to pass an ability-to-benefit test (ATB)
  • Register with the Selective Service if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25. Register online
  • Maintain satisfactory progress
  • Not be in student loan default status
  • Owe no balance on Title IV programs

To review information on eligibility for the various financial aid programs, please visit our Types of Financial Aid section and select your area of interest.

Students who would like to apply for Reading Area Community College Foundation Scholarships must:

  • File the FAFSA by the May 1 deadline date
  • Meet the specific requirements of the scholarship
  • Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher since most scholarships are merit-based