Interviews are your chance to sell your skills and abilities. They also give you a chance to find out if the job and company are right for you.
Follow the tips here to ace your interviews.
- Research the company prior to your interview.
- Take a test run to the site prior to the interview.
- Arrive early. Check your appearance in the bathroom.
- When ushered into the office, call the interviewer by name, thank him for seeing you, mention the position for which you are applying, and introduce yourself.
- Use an “ice breaker” to ease tension.
- Refuse refreshment---politely.
- Establish and maintain eye contact.
- Let the interviewer take the lead.
- Speak in a firm, clear voice.
- Keep your answers brief and to the point.
- Talk about your skills as they relate to the position.
- Don’t discuss any personal matters.
- Have two or three excellent questions ready.
- Sell yourself in a dignified manner.
- Smile. Show enthusiasm.
- Speak highly of the company. Research this.
- Explain what contributions you could make.
- Never discuss money or benefits unless and until you are offered the position.
- Take your time in answering questions. Don’t rush.
- Maintain your poise and appear confident.
- Before leaving, thank the interviewer, indicate that you want the job, and mention that you hope to hear from the interviewer soon.
- Mail a thank-you letter the same day.
- Make the follow-up call in 3 or 4 days.