RACC Research Approval Procedures became effective March 21, 2013.
- Establish a RACC faculty member willing to sponsor your request or your RACC course instructor.
- Review the materials and take the assessment on the requirements for research with human subjects on the Angel site.
- Complete the "RACC Application for Human Research Initial Approval Review" form, which requires all details about your research:
- An "exempt" project - does not involve human subjects
- An "expedited" review project - previously reviewed and approved by an IRB (Institutional Review Board) or projects that have minimal risk to the subjects.
- A "full" review project - involves human subjects and needing IRB approval
- Turn in the review form to the RACC Research Administrator or your RACC instructor, who will submit it to the RACC Research Administrator on your behalf.
If your research is exempt, you should provide a reason for why it is exempt. Those proposed exempt projects which are determined to be non-exempt will not be approved.
If your research requires an expedited review, the RACC Research Administrator will review your application. Review and approval of a project may take several weeks depending on the complexity of the proposed project and the completeness of the application.
If your research requires a full review, an IRB of at least 5 members will be assigned to review your application. These members must be a diverse population, including at least a professional in science/social science (e.g. biology, psychology, medicine, or economics), a non-scientist, someone external from RACC, a student or representative of the subject population, and males and females. Review and approval of a project may take several weeks depending on the complexity of the proposed project and the completeness of the application.
Approved projects will receive an approval letter that should be shared with any interested party. Approval is granted for exactly one year from the date of approval. No later than one year from approval, the principle investigator must report on the status of the project and request a new approval for an additional year if more time is needed to conduct the research.
Copies of any publications or professional presentations resulting from the approved research should be provided in digital format to the RACC Research Administrator.
For questions contact:
Dean of Instruction
Reading Area Community College
610-372-4721 x 5040