• Affiliated borrowers: All current students, faculty, and staff, trustees, and alumni of Reading Area Community College
• Non-affiliated borrowers: Non-RACC borrowers who have a Berks County Advanced Library Information Network (ALIN) library card.
• Affiliated borrowers (students and alumni): 10 per print format (e.g., books, magazines, maps, art prints) + 3 per non-print format (e.g., music CDs / books on CDs/ DVDs, VHS tapes). Affiliated borrowers (students and alumni) may borrow only one “High Demand” item per format at a time.
• Affiliated borrowers (faculty, staff, and trustees): as needed for their classes and projects
• Non-affiliated borrowers: 10 books + 3 per non-print format (e.g., music CDs / books on CDs/ DVDs, VHS tapes). Non-affiliated borrowers may borrow only one “High Demand” item per format at a time.
• Borrowers agree to abide by The Yocum Library Policies.
• Borrowers are required to present their own valid library cards for checkout of material; library cards from other patrons cannot be used. A picture ID may be required in addition to a valid library card.
• RACC students, staff, and faculty must present proof of current RACC status for Library computer usage sticker.
• Borrowers are financially responsible for all materials charged out on their cards. Borrowers should report a lost or stolen card to library staff at once to minimize responsibility for its unauthorized use.
• Borrowers should note time and date that material is due. Overdue notices are not sent out. Notice of date due is communicated at the time of borrowing, is noted on the item, and is available in the patron’s online account.
Accessing Your Library Account
• All borrowers: Go to RACC's Library Catalog and click on "My Library Account."
Materials are due on days when the library is open, including weekends, semester breaks, and other days when classes are not in session.
|Computer Access Passes||Library Use Only||N/A|
|Museum/Archives Passes||1 Week||Yes, unless on hold|
|Reference Collection||Library Use Only
or with special permission
|Ready Reference Collection||Varies||No|
|High Demand Items||Varies||No|
|Health Professions Journals||Library Use Only||N/A|
|Popular Magazines – current issues||Library Use Only||N/A|
|Popular Magazines – back issues||1 week||Yes, unless on hold|
|Print Books - 3rd floor||4 weeks||Yes, unless on hold|
|Print Books - bestsellers||4 weeks||No|
|Children's books||4 weeks||Yes, unless on hold|
|Film collection||1 week||Yes, unless on hold|
|Music CDs||1 week||Yes, unless on hold|
|Books on CDs/tapes||4 weeks||Yes, unless on hold|
|Art prints||4 weeks||Yes, unless on hold|
|Maps||4 weeks||Yes, unless on hold|
|Navajo Collection||Library Use Only
or with special permission
|Wes Fisher Music Collection||Library Use Only
or with special permission
|Comic Book Collection||Library Use Only||N/A|
|Schuylkill Navigation Collection||Library Use Only||N/A|
Renewal of Library Materials
• To renew items: Go to www.racc.edu > The Yocum Library > Online Catalog > My Account
OR Stop at the Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor of the library
OR call 610-607-6237 or 800-626-1665 ext. 6237
• If renewals are allowed on the item, borrowers can renew items ONE time.
(Note: An item cannot be renewed if another patron has a hold on the item.)
Return of Library Materials
• Materials on regular loan may be returned to any ALIN library in Berks County. For a list of ALIN libraries see http://www.berks.lib.pa.us/libs.htm
• Reserve items including Museum Passes must be returned directly to The Yocum Library because of their short loan periods.
• RACC-initiated Interlibrary Loans must be returned to the Yocum Library only.
• If materials need to be returned by mail, contact the library for permission and mailing instructions.
Charges, Overdue Materials, Penalties, and Assessments
Replacement Library Cards:
• Affiliated borrowers: Contact The Yocum Library Circulation Desk
• Non-affiliated borrowers: $2 payable at The Yocum Library Circulation Desk
•Thirty days after the due date of an item with a 4 week loan period, the Library presumes the material is lost and charges the borrower the replacement cost of the item plus a $15 processing fee per item. Seven days after the due date of an item with a 1 week loan period, the Library presumes the material is lost and charges the borrower the replacement cost of the item plus a $15 processing fee per item. Note: Individual parts of some DVD sets such as television series or documentaries may not be available separately so that the replacement cost would be the cost of the entire season.
•One week after a Museum Pass’s due date, the Library presumes the pass is lost and charges the borrower the replacement cost plus a $15 processing fee.
•If the item is returned in usable condition within one month of the lost status date, all costs and fees are waived. If the item is returned in usable condition more than a month after the lost status date, the replacement cost is waived but the borrower is responsible for the $15 per item processing fee.
Unpaid fines and charges may result in one or more of the following actions:
• Affiliated borrowers cannot borrow RACC materials if they have overdue items, lost items, three or more Claimed Returned statuses, or charges in excess of $10.00 from an ALIN library. They cannot borrow RACC items if they have RACC-initiated blocks on their patron records. With special permission from the Assistant Dean of Library Services they may be able to borrow RACC course-related items from RACC for one semester. RACC costs and fees not paid will be added to a RACC’s student account as a Library Hold. RACC Library Holds may prevent students from registering for RACC classes or receiving RACC transcripts.
• Non-affiliated borrowers cannot borrow RACC materials if they have overdue items, lost items, three or more Claimed Returned statuses, or charges in excess of $10.00 from an ALIN library. They cannot borrow RACC items if they have RACC-initiated blocks on their patron records. Fees assessed against a non-affiliated borrower's account that are not paid within 60 days may be remanded to a collection agency. Additional fees will be charged by the College for this process.
• All borrowers: The Yocum Library may suspend borrowing privileges if a borrower does not pay accumulated fees and fines. The Yocum Library reserves the right to initiate collection agency actions or legal proceedings to recover library materials.