May 2014 Graduation
All graduation applicants for May 2014 graduation must have an application completed on WebAdvisor by April 1.
When: Friday, May 16
Where: The Santander Arena – 700 Penn St., Reading, PA
Time: 2 p.m. (GRADUATES MUST ARRIVE NO LATER THAN 1 p.m. Please follow instructions upon your arrival. There will be ambassadors available to direct you!)
The commencement ceremony will be broadcast live on the college website at www.racc.edu. Please note: In case of technical difficulties, the broadcast will run "on demand" a few days later.
- Guests will be allowed to enter The Santander Arena beginning at 1 p.m.
- The Santander Arena does not allow any type of balloons to be brought in for the ceremony.
- Commencement is a special event; you should dress appropriately for the occasion. (Jeans, shorts and sneakers are not considered appropriate attire.)
Each year one student is chosen to speak at graduation and the search is on for this year’s speaker. To apply, submit a typed copy of your speech (between 3-5 minutes) as well as your contact information to Judy Rubright by Friday, March 7. See more details as well as the top 10 reasons to speak at graduation in this brochure.
Tickets are NOT necessary for the graduation ceremony at The Santander Arena for you or your guests. The doors will open to the public beginning at 1 p.m. You are welcome to invite as many guests as you like.
- Caps and Gowns must be ordered on the following website: www.herffjones.com/college/racc. This site will open for ordering beginning on February 1 and will close at 11:59 p.m. on March 23.
- Please pick up your cap and gown at the Graduation Fair (see below) to be held on Monday, May 5 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Tuesday, May 6 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the RACC Bookstore in Berks Hall.
- If you are unable to pick up your cap and gown at the Graduation Fair, you may also pick up after the fair in the bookstore at the following times:
Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Fridays: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Students are encouraged to pick up caps and gowns by May 9 to ensure proper fit and presentation. It is recommended that you iron and hang your gown to avoid wrinkles.
The Student Government Association has purchased a Gratitude Stole for each graduate and they will be distributed with your cap and gown. In addition to making the graduation attire more attractive, these stoles may be used as gifts of gratitude for someone who has made a difference in your time at RACC and helped you achieve graduation. You may write a personal note on it with a Sharpie and AFTER the ceremony, present it to the person you choose. Or, you may keep it yourself as a graduation memento. Please remember to wear it for the graduation ceremony, and do not give it away until after the ceremony. Additional stoles may be purchased through the bookstore for $18.75.
- When: Monday, May 5 (9 a.m. to 6 p.m.) and Tuesday, May 6 (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Where: RACC Bookstore in Berks Hall
Cap/Gown and Gratitude Stole pickup
- A vendor will be there to sell variety of graduation items (optional announcements, frames, etc.)
Honor Cord Distribution
Honor cords will be issued to all students who meet the following criteria as of the end of Fall Semester/December 2013:
- Cum Laude
- Magna Cum Laude
- Summa Cum Laude
- 3.50-3.74 cumulative grade point average
- 3.75-3.94 cumulative grade point average
- 3.95-4.00 cumulative grade point average
These cords will be distributed at the Graduation Fair on May 5 and 6 during cap and gown pickup (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) in the Student Bookstore or see Judy Rubright in B127 any weekday after the Graduation Fair during the following times:
- Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m. until noon or 1-3:30 p.m.
You may contact Judy Rubright (610-372-4721, ext. 5062) or email email@example.com to arrange for an alternate time.
DVDs: If interested in purchasing a DVD recording of the commencement ceremony, please print and complete this order form. Turn in the complete form and make payment at the Cashier's Office in B107. Checks are payable to Reading Area Community College.
Parking is limited. All graduates should park on the RACC Campus and use the shuttle service provided by the college. The first student shuttle will leave the front entrance of Berks Hall at 12:15 p.m. Students are expected to be at The Santander Arena by 1 p.m. Shuttle service back to campus begins at 3:30 p.m. with the last one departing at 4:45 p.m.
If you prefer to park on campus and walk to The Santander Arena please make sure you allow enough time to arrive no later than 1 p.m.
The shuttle service is for students and staff only!
There will be parking available in the following lots for your guests:
- Double Tree Convention Center Parking Garage (located directly across from The Santander Arena - $2 per car)
- Additional parking is available in other lots at the regular rate of $2 for the first hour and $1.50 thereafter in the following lots:
- 4th and Cherry Street Garage
- South Penn Garage (located behind The Santander Arena)
- Barta Park and Transit
Please do not use the Penn Court, Reed and Court, or Poplar and Walnut garages.
Free parking will be available on the RACC campus in the Front and Washington garage for your guests who prefer to walk a few short blocks to The Santander Arena.
A reception with light refreshments will be held for graduates and their guests to honor the class of 2014 immediately following the ceremony.
Special Arrangements & Spanish-Language Interpretation
If you need accommodations due to a disability, notify Judy Rubright in Berks Hall 127 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interpreters for any hearing impaired individual(s) will be present during the graduation ceremony.
Please contact Dr. Donna Singleton at 610-372-4721, ext. 5096 or in Yocum 110 if you wish to purchase the gold stole and tassel for the graduation ceremony!
Students who complete 15 honors credits with an overall GPA of 3.25 or higher in all honors courses may apply for an Honors Certificate and Honors Diploma. Please refer to the application form. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Donna Singleton at email@example.com.
If you are not able to attend commencement, please request to be excused from the ceremony by emailing Judy Rubright.
If you have any questions or concerns about the May graduation ceremony, please contact Judy Rubright, Berks Hall 127, 610-372-4721, ext. 5062 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.