The Honors Program is for motivated, intellectually curious students. Some honors students excelled in high school. Others realized their academic potential only after starting college.
To become eligible for the Honors Program, a student must meet one of the following criteria.
NEW STUDENTS need to meet one of the following criteria:
- RACC writing placement test score of COM 122 or COM 121 with reading score of 108+ or math placement score of MAT 150 with reading score of 108+
- Graduation in the top 10% of high school class
- A combined SAT score of 1100 for the two part or 1650 for the three part
CURRENTLY ENROLLED STUDENTS need to meet one of the following criteria:
- A 3.25 GPA or higher, excluding developmental courses, with a minimum of 8 credits in college-level courses
- Recommendation of instructor (unless another criterion is fulfilled, admission would be for a single course)
- Special talent or ability in the area of a particular honors course (unless another criterion is fulfilled, admission would be for a single course)
If you meet one of these criteria, you may apply to the Honors Program and sign up for Honors courses as long as you meet other prerequisites.
To remain eligible for the program, a student must maintain an overall GPA of 3.25 or higher and earn a grade of B or higher for all honors courses.
Students sometimes worry that their GPA's will suffer if they take on the challenge of honors courses. However, research indicates that students in honors courses typically do not earn lower grades. In fact, many feel they perform better in small, supportive honors classes.
Application - DOCX 67 KB
The Application above should be typed and submitted to Dr. Donna Singleton in Yocum 110.
For more information: Contact Dr. Donna Singleton , Honors Program Coordinator, 610-372-4721 (ext. 5096)